"The word of God is the greatest, most necessary, most important thing in Christendom. Without the external Word we would not know one spirit from another...Let the man who would hear God speak, read Holy Scripture." - Martin Luther

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Some like Calvin for TULIP…I like him for a "passive" & "assuring" FAITH!

Simply put, I would contend that the "nature of faith" is at the heartbeat, the very pulse of Biblical and Protestant Christianity. Seen rightly, all else finds its proper place. As John Calvin writes:
"Hence, in order that the word of God may gain full credit, the mind must be enlightened, and the heart confirmed, from some other quarter.
We shall now have a full definition of faith, if we say that it is a firm and sure knowledge of the divine favor toward us, founded on the truth of a free promise in Christ, both revealed to our minds, and sealed on our hearts, by the Holy Spirit."
(click on title for "Institutes of the Christian Religion" Book 3, ch 2.1-7)

Also read Luther’s Summary to Galatians for his contrast of "passive" vs "active" righteousness. (see )

4 Comments:

Blogger StorminNormin said...

did you know that Calvin was accused multiple times of soddomy?

you pal,

norm

ps: great post, keep up the good work

2:15 AM

 
Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

norm,
In some senses, I could really care less about Calvin. He will, like you and I, stand or fall before His Maker and give an account. You say he was “accused” of sodomy. Maybe falsely, maybe true. Neither of us really know, do we? Regardless, I think he speaks well on the subject of faith. Then again, its one thing to define faith correctly, its another to have tasted it!
Enough about Calvin…what do you make of Jesus Christ? The grace of God? Faith?

I see you linked my blog on your site. You take no middle ground here. I find that a compliment. My hope is that God would use this stuff to encourage others as He has used it to help me. I am no scholar, but I am convinced Jesus Christ has made all the difference in the lives of a messed-up family from the projects in Boston, ravaged by drugs, drink, pride, selfishness and idolatry. I have witnessed the lives of my father (an orphan in NY) and my mom (beat up by her dad on the streets of Hell’s Kitchen) come full circle…all because my sister, who was living-death @ 17 yrs old attended this guys bible-study and was told about Jesus Christ. I don’t have the time right now (plus I am a slow at typing) to tell you about how my brother and I would get 3 carloads of guys together to go jump this guy who was having this bible study…we thought, if it’s not Catholic, it’s a cult…only in time to have this guy become my pastor. The stories go on and on…for 23 years now. Maybe that’s what John had in mind when he said:

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written. Joh 21:25

This is my desire with Project 66.
Peace…
(the links on the "emergent discussion" may help you desire to know more about it. They are audio links, you may want to listen.)

7:00 AM

 
Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

Rick:
it is my intention in the near future to craft a series of (short) posts strictly on the subject of "grace" and "faith...one building on top of the other. I see from scripture, and echoed by guys like Luther and Calvin in particular, the "FREE-ness" of these doctrines. (you've got to read Luther on Galatians, at least the summary at the beginning). This I hope to unpack, for I see it to be the heartbeat, the very pulse of the Christian religion...that which sets it apart, head and shoulders, infinitely apart, from any other religion, philosophy or way of life. As J. Gresham Machen has said, religion is either of merit or of grace. Its that simple.
blessing my man, to you and yours...

9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To see us on your page, as 2 reprobates, full of all kinds of evil...And the king of Kings, taking it all away and, Giving us what we didnt deserve, His Name and places at the Kings Table forever....
and there's room for more?.....

Truly Christ Jesus is Lord of Lords....


Its just mind- boggling, Dao

....Luvpops

2:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home