"The word of God is the greatest, most necessary, most important thing in Christendom. Without the external Word we would not know one spirit from another...Let the man who would hear God speak, read Holy Scripture." - Martin Luther

Friday, March 18, 2005

What's on Tap...? (part1)

Inspired by my friends Dave and Paul, it is my intention over the next couple of weeks to craft a series of (short) posts strictly on the subject of "grace" and "faith"...my thoughts building one on top of the other. I see from scripture, and echoed by guys like Luther and Calvin in particular, the "FREE-ness" of these truths. This I hope to somehow unpack, for I see it to be the heartbeat, the very pulse of the Christian religion...that which sets it apart, head and shoulders, infinitely apart, from any other religion, philosophy or way of life. As J. Gresham Machen has said, religion is either of merit or of grace. Its that simple.

In my recent reading on the Emergent discussion I wonder if there could be a compromising focus on that which is "good" rather than on that which is "excellent". While I appreciate the issues brought forth to the table of learning - for it is needed - I cannot help but think this may be a subtle ploy of divergence from investigating such Christian basics as God, guilt, grace and gratitude...my take on the "doctrines of grace". I mean treating this stuff in some detail, not just some pithy little cliches that continue to leave the impression in our minds that God is somehow small and we are much more grand than we really are. Christianity, whatever it is, sets the record straight, doesn't it? The record of the God of all creation and His dealings with the works of His hand!

Maybe I'm naive. Maybe it's me. But so many of our dear brothers and sisters seem to be easily and deeply preoccupied with everything under the Sun far more than God Himself, His gracious disposition to us who are desperately undeserving of such favor and His gift of faith...the promise of His Son to be our all...our very life...those things that profoundly pertain to time and eternity!

It is to this open dicsussion that your presence is more than welcome...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAO,
Sometimes I get so discouraged sitting on my roof top.
Even wars are far away. And I think back when. And Its all quiet and I feel a wind stirring...

My heart is heavy as I wait for My Christ....
luvpops

3:24 AM

 
Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

dad,
tell me more about the "stirring wind" you feel...and why your heart may be downcast...
soon we will be swallowed up in glory!
my heart is your heart!
DAO

8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spirit of God has barb n me in His word daily, while we've become surrounded by wordly things..

Downcast one moment and lifted to the heights by your kind words in Jesus Christ promises..

Thank You Lord for DAO...
luvpops

7:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog. I wil blog roll you. Thanks,
brad

9:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home