"The word of God is the greatest, most necessary, most important thing in Christendom. Without the external Word we would not know one spirit from another...Let the man who would hear God speak, read Holy Scripture." - Martin Luther

Monday, May 15, 2006

An Unusual Encounter...


Along with many others who attended the Together for the Gospel conference...I too was floored after John Piper's message(audio)! That evening, God was gracious to grant me several requests I made of Him by way of some God-given goals for the conference. One was for repentance. That came through his message(text). One was to meet one new friend...the brother I sat next to that evening named Lee from Canada. That came before his message. One was to meet John Piper...which incredibly happened in the restroom, upstairs somewhere after we left the ballroom rush up the escalator to find a quick way out. That came after his message. After the usual bathroom business, I went to throw my towels in the trash, turning to my left, who stood there…yep, Pastor John Piper…just he and I!

I was able to thank him for what he, under God, has done for my soul...and to ask a question about Calvin's definition of faith (Institutes: Book 3, ch 2, end of point 7) and it's heartbeat relationship to "Christian Hedonism"! As we stood outside the facilities, his affirmation to my inquiry about Calvin’s definition of faith as “passive” and “assuring” affirmed my inkling on the subject. As well was his take on the Reformer’s insight on “knowledge” as “notitia”(knowledge), “assensus”(assent), “fiducia”(confidence) including the inherent element of “felicity” (happiness)… being essentially Edwardsian and thus the very heartbeat of the driving pulse of his ministry known as “Christian Hedonism”. This paradigm is oh so rare in our day and well worth heeding!
What a treat from God, which typified the entire conference.

All thanks, praise and exultation be unto you, Oh Lord!

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

what a killer story; what sweet providence! your account of this in person at church just tickled me. God was gracious to answer your prayers; may he be praised. came across a great verse today:

Isa.43:25-I (God), I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

dude, you stole my picture!

9:13 AM

 
Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

yea,
would love to have a coffee with Piper and ask him further about the nature of "faith" as passive and assuring. I see he has the knowledge side down, and would love to hear him in more detail about faith.

PS...OUR picture, that is...no? Got it from the website...
Big love, bro,
D

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

can't say it's mine since i found it online!

10:29 AM

 
Blogger CyndieO said...

honey,

you really need to stop stalking people.... following piper into the bathroom? hee hee...... love you....

5:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no autograph? I feel like a lazy, intenseless punk child whenever I watch Piper do his thing. He preaches with such passion without moving an inch. Something like his hero Edwards.

6:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like your wife knows exactly how it went down, you did in fact stalk Piper to the restroom, sad my friend, sad but true... no, I just wanted to add my take on the conference and reaffirm how great it was to be convicted/encouraged by Piper's message and to meet/connect with a fellow brother in Christ. What a blessing... our Father certainly knows how to give his children good gifts.

4:54 PM

 
Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

what a quality crew of people God has blessed me with, from my wife to solid bro's in Christ!
May we make our short time here count as much for Christ as we can possibly stand...this side of eternity. soon, very soon, we will enter eternal WOW!
Big love,
Danny

5:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan -

There is a good book by Randall Zachman at Notre Dame called - "The Assurance of Faith: Conscience in the Theology of Martin Luther and John Calvin." Zachman is a top end scholar and knows his stuff.

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-The_Assurance_Of_Faith_Conscience_In_The_Theology_Of_Martin_Luther_And_John_Calvin_by_Randall_C_Zachman

11:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home