"The word of God is the greatest, most necessary, most important thing in Christendom. Without the external Word we would not know one spirit from another...Let the man who would hear God speak, read Holy Scripture." - Martin Luther

Friday, August 26, 2005

Grace and Peace...

Read this today:
"Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,"(Gal.1.3)

"These two words, grace and peace, comprehend in them what belongs to Christianity. Grace releases sin, and peace makes the conscience quiet. These two fiends that torment us are sin and conscience. But Christ has vanquished these two monsters and trodden them under foot, both in this world and that which is to come. This, the world does not know and therefore can teach no certainty of the overcoming of sin, conscience and death. Only Christians have this doctrine and are exercised and armed with it to get the victory against sin, despair and everlasting death. It is a kind of doctrine, neither proceeding from free-will, nor invented by the reason or wisdom of man, but given from above....
...A person therefore is is made a Christian not by working, but by hearing!"
- Martin Luther, Commentary on Galatians

Reading this is time well spent...

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Savory!

3:32 AM

 
Blogger Russell said...

Hey Danny,

I want to pull you back to a promise you made in your post What's on Tap...? (part1):

"my intention over the next couple of weeks to craft a series of (short) posts strictly on the subject of "grace" and "faith"...my thoughts building one on top of the other. I see from scripture, and echoed by guys like Luther and Calvin in particular, the "FREE-ness" of these truths. This I hope to somehow unpack, for I see it to be the heartbeat, the very pulse of the Christian religion..."

Let's hear it bro. Tell us more about the free nature of grace!

9:05 AM

 
Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

thanks for calling me on the carpet. I am thinking about posting thoughts on Romans 4.14

loved your comments @ the care group and mentioned to Cyndie, I love what God is doing in Russ'life! I really do.

lets hang soon.

9:29 AM

 
Blogger Russell said...

Peace and Grace! :-)

10:32 AM

 
Blogger Russell said...

I thought you had already found me through Dave's blog. I'll call ya later.

1:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home